Here at Insomnia, we’re proud to be an indigenous 100% Irish owned coffee company. It is part of our strategy and customer promise to source locally where possible. With this in mind we would like to introduce to our customers, one of our suppliers each week and give you the chance to recreate at home one of their scrumptious treats, available now as part of the new Autumn range.
This week we’re going to step into Ciara and Ian’s ‘Sweet Things Bakery’ and learn how to make their mouth watering Blackberry & Almond Slice, but first lets learn a little bit more about Ciara, and what she goes through to deliver such quality products.
Ciara Byrne of ‘Sweet Things Bakery’
Ciara and Ian buy their fruit from Smithfield market and Tolka eggs keep their eggs store full. Every morning at 3am, the bakery in Smithfield starts to work and Ciara and Ian get started on baking their delicious treats such as Carrot Cake, Pecan Slice, and other goodies for Insomnia.
Blackberry & Almond Slice
This slice is super moist so it will keep in your fridge for a few days. You don’t have to use blackberries, you can use blueberries or raspberries…let your imagination run wild, that’s half the fun of baking!This is a one bowl wonder so you can throw it together in a flash.
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 140g ground almonds
- 140g butter, softened
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g Blackberries or your chosen berries
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds (optional for topping)
- icing sugar, Cream, custard to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and base-line and grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Blitz the ground almonds, butter, sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla extract in a food processor until well combined. I love food processors and in a bakery they can be your best friend! You don’t want to blitz for too long, just enough to mix everything together.
- Spread half the mix over the cake tin and smooth over the top. Scatter the blackberries over, then dollop the remaining cake mixture on top and roughly spread – you might find this easier to do with your fingers. Remember that your berries will bleed into the cake mixture so be light handed.
- Bake at the above temperature for about 40 mins. If you want to add flaked almonds for that extra crunch then add them now and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cooling. This cake is delicious with cream or homemade custard.
For more tasty recipes from Ciaras Sweet Things bakery why not click Here to find out how you can bake the Hazelnut and Caramel Tart, trust us when we say its delicious.
Be sure to keep an eye out next week when we will introduce you to another of our suppliers, Maurice Power of ‘Soulfoods’, where he will tell you how you can bake his delicious Toffee & Apple Log at home.
Latest Insomnia News
Propercorn – Popcorn Done Properly
Insomnia are excited to be offering this delicious and healthy snack....yes thats right, delicious AND healthy! Propercorn is our latest ...
Insomnia’s Christmas Festive Treats Tasting Event
It’s starting to look a lot ...
Win A Trip To The London Premiere Of Anchorman 2 With Insomnia!
Insomnia, in association with Paramount Pictures are proud to finally ...