Here at Insomnia, we’re proud to be an indigenous 100% Irish owned coffee company. It is part of our strategy and customer promise to source locally where possible. With this in mind we would like to introduce to our customers, one of our suppliers each week and give you the chance to recreate at home one of their scrumptious treats, available now as part of the new Autumn range.
This week we will be focusing on Maurice Power of Soulfoods, and their heavenly Toffee & Apple Log, but before we give away the secrets to his recipe let us introduce you to the man and give you an insight into his company, Soulfoods.
Maurice Power – Soulfoods
This weeks supplier is Maurice Power of Soulfoods, Maurice qualified as a pastry chef from DIT and went on to work in some of Irelands top restaurants such as Les Freres Jacques and the Grey Door. After travelling and working abroad for many years he returned home and saw the cafe scene in Dublin had really taken off and he decided to set up Soulfoods Ltd. They now supply Insomnia seven days a week with a range of patisserie, breads and confectionary items such as Banana Bread and Krispie Slices.
Toffee & Apple Log
Makes one 9×5 inch loaf, which will serve between 8 to 10 people.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick or 113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium apples; peeled, cored, and chopped or shredded
- About 1/4 cup caramel/toffee sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan; set aside.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and combine until mixed well, but don’t over beat. Scrape the bowl and add one-third of the flour mixture. Stir until just combined, add half of the apples, and mix together. Add another third of the flour, and stir again until just combined. Add the remaining apples and mix lightly, then stir in the remaining flour until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of caramel/toffee sauce over the batter, then top with the remaining batter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with only a crumb or two clinging to it.
- Allow the bread to cool for about 30 minutes, then drizzle the top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of caramel/toffee sauce and sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Be sure to keep an eye out next week when we will introduce you to another of our suppliers, Barry and Bernard from The Broderick Brothers, where they will tell you how you can bake their delicious Maple & Pecan Blondie at home.
Latest Insomnia News
Insomnia @ Barrow Street Gets An Upgrade
Insomnia at EuroSpar, located on Barrow Street has undergone a ...
Propercorn – Popcorn Done Properly
Insomnia are excited to be offering this delicious and healthy snack....yes thats right, delicious AND healthy! Propercorn is our latest ...
Insomnia’s Christmas Festive Treats Tasting Event
It’s starting to look a lot ...