Here at Insomnia, we’re proud to be an indigenous 100% Irish owned coffee company. It is part of our strategy and customer promise to source locally where possible. With this in mind we would like to introduce to our customers, one of our suppliers each week and give you the chance to recreate at home one of their scrumptious treats, available now as part of the new Autumn range.
This week we will be saying hello to the Broderick brothers, Barry and Bernard who are our suppliers from…you guest it, ‘The Broderick Brothers’. First we will give you a little background into the pair and their family run company, after which we will share with you one of the new treats in our Autumn range, the Maple & Pecan Blondie.
Barry & Bernard – The Broderick’s Brothers
Barry and Bernard are the proud Broderick Brothers who began baking in their mammy’s Ina’s Kitchen in Dublin many years ago. During the late 90′s the company see’s itself relocate out of a small commercial bakery into a 6,000 sq.ft fully equipped production facility. Their product range grew with more delicious products added, this saw the need to relocate yet again in 2006 to a 16,000 sq.ft production facility and have been growing ever since, using only the highest quality Belgian chocolate and Irish butter in their products. broderick’s today employs 45 people and its handmade products are exported to 13 different countries. As well as providing Insomnia with delectable handmade chocolate bars, they also bake our Brownies, Rocky Road and other treats and goodies for Insomnia, not to forget the all new Maple & Pecan Blondie from our Autumn range.
Maple & Pecan Blondie
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature,
- plus more for the pan
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces white chocolate, cut into chunks
For the topping:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter the foil. Pulse 1/2 cup walnuts in a food processor until almost fine (do not overprocess). Whisk the ground nuts, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat 10 tablespoons butter and the brown sugar with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the white chocolate and the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake until the blondies are light brown around the edges and spring back when pressed, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly on a rack.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: Place the maple syrup and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the mixture bubbles and thickens, swirling the pan, about 6 minutes. Add the cream and continue to cook until the mixture is the consistency of caramel.
- Use the foil to lift the blondies out of the pan, then cut into large bars. Serve warm topped with the maple-butter sauce and the walnuts.
Be sure to keep an eye out next week when we will introduce you to another of our suppliers, Ian and mairin of ‘Soup Cafe’, where they will tell you how you can cook up their fresh Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup at home.
Latest Insomnia News
Propercorn – Popcorn Done Properly
Insomnia are excited to be offering this delicious and healthy snack....yes thats right, delicious AND healthy! Propercorn is our latest ...
Insomnia’s Christmas Festive Treats Tasting Event
It’s starting to look a lot ...
Win A Trip To The London Premiere Of Anchorman 2 With Insomnia!
Insomnia, in association with Paramount Pictures are proud to finally ...