It’s Competition time!... or Great Insomnia Bake Off time, to be precise.
We were supposed to have these Easter Nests in store this week… but we’ve done the next best thing and can share the recipe with you.
We have been so impressed with everyone who has made our recipes so far and thought we’d set a little Easter challenge! Ciara, from Sweet Things Badass Bakery, is our judge for the competition and will kindly gift a bakery kit for the winner! We want you to be as creative as possible and share your best showstoppers with us!
Entry is super easy and something the whole family can get involved in. All you have to do is follow our recipe (with or without the optional extras), take a picture of your finished Easter Nests, tag @insomniacoffeeco on Facebook or Instagram and use the #GreatInsomniaBakeOff. All competition entries will receive 2 hot beverage vouchers for taking part, which we will send once we reopen.
T&C’s apply. Entries close on Thursday April 16th. So what are you waiting for!
Easter Nest Recipe
• 250g - Cornflakes
• 120g - Caster Sugar
• 120g - Golden Syrup
• 120g - Unsalted Butter
• 150g - Milk Chocolate (Ciara recommends using 30% Cocoa cooking chocolate from the bakery aisle)
• Mini Eggs – 60 (3 per nest)
• Smarties or Galaxy Eggs can also be used
• 100g - Desiccated Coconut
• As needed - Green Food Colouring
• 30g - Single Cream
• 70g - Milk Chocolate
To Make Coconut Grass (optional)
Weigh the coconut, put into a small bowl and sprinkle green food colouring onto the coconut, rub together and set aside.
To make the Easter Nets
• Weigh the cornflakes into a large bowl and set aside
• Line 20 cupcake tins with cupcake cases
• Weigh golden syrup, caster sugar and butter into a saucepan. Heat gently until all ingredients have melted
• Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over simmering water until melted
• Allow syrup mixture to cool slightly
• Pour over the cornflakes and mix by hand, be careful not to crush the cornflakes
• Pour over the melted chocolate and mix by hand until all cornflakes are covered
• Divide the cornflake mixture over the 20 cases (About 60g per case)
• Using your fingers press down in the centre of each nest to create a shallow well (add 3 mini eggs if not making the ganache)
• (Optional) Sprinkle the green coconut inside the nests
• Place in the fridge to set
To make the ganache (optional)
• Place the cream and chocolate into a glass bowl and over simmering water
• Stir with a whisk or silicone beater until smooth and glossy
• Take the nests out of the fridge
• Using a teaspoon – spoon about 5g of ganache into the centre of the nests
• Gently press 3 mini eggs into the ganache and allow to set before consuming
Don’t forget to take a picture and share your Easter Nests with us
Competition closes Thursday 16th April 2020 Please see T & C’s below.
T & C's
1. Eligibility: This competition is open to Republic of Ireland residents, aged 18 years or over, excluding employees and their immediate families, associated agents or anyone professionally connected with the draw.
2. All entries must meet the following requirements;
- Entrants must post a picture of their Easter nests to their Instagram or Facebook account
- Tag the official Insomnia Coffee Company account on Instagram @insomniacoffeeco or Facebook @InsomniaCoffeeCo
- Use the hashtag #GreatInsomniaBakeOff
3. Promotional Period: Competition will run from 10/04/2020 to 16/04/2020. The winner will be announced on 17/04/2020 as chosen by Ciara from Sweet Things Badass Bakery.
4. The winner will receive an at home bakery kit to be supplied by Sweet Things Badass Bakery, this will be sent when Insomnia Head Office and High Street stores reopen.
5. All competition entries received that meet the entry requirements will receive 2 hot beverage vouchers for taking part.
6. Vouchers will be dispatched when Insomnia Head Office and High Street stores reopen. A member of the Insomnia team will be in touch with the entrant to confirm their name and postal details, where the entrant has an Insomnia Treats account, the option will be given to add additional beans to their account.
7. Winner Notification: The Winner will be notified via the Instagram or Facebook account they used to enter the promotion.
8. Winner Claim: The winner has 3 days from notification to confirm the acceptance of their prize, otherwise Insomnia has the right to reallocate the prize with no liability.
9. The top prize is non-transferable and non-refundable. No cash alternatives. In exceptional circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prizes with one(s) of an equivalent value should the prizes become unavailable for any reason. If any winner is not able for whatever reason to accept his or her prize, then the Promoter reserves the right to award that prize to another participant. Resale of the prize is strictly prohibited.